Acknowledging the past provides direction for the future.
Gas Engine Row
This exhibit is available for viewing Every Day, but does not run except during Special Events.
Gas Engine Row displays AGSEM's collection of large gasoline and diesel engines, some of which are the only existing examples left. Engines such as ours were used from the 1890's to the 1940's for powering everything from farms to factories.
After the 1940's, there was a lessening need for many of these engines as electricity became more available and higher horsepower electric motors were developed. As a result, many such engines from that time were left abandoned or sent to the scrapyard.
Our dedicated team of volunteers proudly runs the Gas Engine Row engines at our Tractor Shows on the 3rd and 4th weekend of every June and October as well as during other selected times throughout the year.
If you love the sights and sounds of vintage mechanical genius, you owe it to yourself to visit AGSEM and witness the magic of these great machines in action!
Engine Listing and Descriptions
Atlas Imperial Year MFG: 1937
Atlas Imperial Engine Co. in Oakland, CA
Originally the powerhouse for a garbage scow during WWII, this engine was most recently used on the 120 ft. bait boat "The Rival" owned and operated by Everingham Brothers Bait Co. in San Diego, CA. Everingham Brothers generously donated the Atlas to AGSEM in December 2011. Our Gas Engine Row team members have since donated countless hours to restoring the Atlas to working condition.
Chicago Pneumatic Year MFG: 1914
Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co. in Chicago, IL
This engine contains two in-line cylinders, a two-cycle diesel engine in the front and a compound air compressor in the back. The Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co. was founded in 1901. It manufactured this type of engine beginning in 1912 and in various other sizes and combinations until 1925. The Chicago Pneumatic engine here at AGSEM was used to supply compressed air for a mining operation in Quartzsite, Arizona. It was donated to AGSEM in 1983 and restored to operation condition by AGSEM Volunteers.
Enterprise DSW-6 Year MFG: 1937
Western Machinery Company in Los Angeles, CA
This engine is one of three generators that was used for primary and (later) standby power at the Palomar Observatory from 1938-1996. Time on the generator after 58 years at the Observatory was only 4800 hours. Donated to AGSEM in 1996, this engine was one of only two model W engines ever built with an enclosed valve gear. Almost all model W engines were built for use on marine applications and carried a DMW-4 or -6 designation. All the DMW engines had exposed vale gears. Only a handful of DSW engines were ever made. Out engine was the second and last built with a special enclosed valve gear. We believe the other DSW-6 built with an enclosed valve gear was S/N 6109, with the original owner designated in the listing as Dunn Baker. We do not believe that the engine is still in existence. It appears that the AGSEM engine may well be the only existing example of the DSW-6 version. It was started at AGSEM in 2001 after resting here for five years.
Year MFG: 1916
Fairbanks-Morse Engine Co. in Beloit, WI
Fairbanks-Morse company records show that this 33D16 engine was ordered on May 13th, 1926 by the Santa Catalina Island Company. The engine was used on the island to generate electrical power for a number of years. In the early 1960's, Southern California Edison commenced providing the island with electric service. At that time the company had the engine moved to its newly constructed Pebbly Beach Powerhouse, where it provided power it was decommissioned in the mid-1970's. The engine remained there until it was removed in June 2010 by Southern California Edison in order to provide additional space for an upcoming building remodeling project. Southern California Edison barged into the mainland, where plans were made to scrap it at Long Beach Salvage Company. Fortunately, Southern California Edison decided to donate the engine to AGSEM instead!
Year MFG: 1910
Fairbanks-Morse Engine Co. in Beloit, WI.
This hoist engine had a wooden cone-clutch and a wooden brake liner. It was used at the Descanso Gold Mine in Descanso, CA for many years. The operator would use a stand pipe with red arrows to indicate stops at different elevations in the mine. Donated to AGSEM by the Percy Goodin Co of Santa Ana, CA.